Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Nora Rahman - teacher profile

My “Yoga affair”


Started to become curious about Yoga in 2005 when i was a very active in other sports and fitness activities that were strenuous. Began to slowly learn Yoga through books (first book was Yoga for Idiots!), then attended my first class in Gaia Yoga Singapore which then prompted months after, to attend the Yoga in Asia Conference that same year.

In June 2005, took up the Radiant Yoga child program and learnt the benefits of Yoga to children under the guidance of Dr Jacqueline Koay of Sun Yoga who was a direct student of Shakta Kaur Khalsa.

In early 2006, underwent an intensive 2 month Yoga teacher’s training again under the same guidance in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur and was exposed to different schools of Yoga : Ashtanga, Kundalini, Iyengar and other ‘freestyle’ yoga from various teachers namely, Ann Barros (Iyengar), Kundalini (Sirri Datta), Ashtanga (Adrian Cox & James Figueira).

Following my teacher training, then began actively teaching Yoga (vinyasa forms). From then, have attended various workshops and classes outside of Brunei namely the Ashtanga Bali in Feb 2007, The Asia Yoga Conference in HongKong, June 2007, then exploring poses through Anusara Yoga in Singapore with Desiree Rumbaugh later that year. 2007 was the ‘height’ of my Yoga journey as it was during this year that i was blessed to have met other extraordinary teachers: David Swenson, Shiva Rea, Seane Corn and Michel Besnard.

Among the classes and workshops that I have helped conducted in spreading the benefits of Yoga to the public are: Yoga Buzz weekend with Adeline Tien in August 2006, conducting on-off Shahbandar Yoga sessions in the evenings and Yoga for charity August 2007 with fellow teacher William Chong. Towards the end of 2007, I helped create the Yoga Arts Association with the hopes of attracting Yoga teachers (aspiring and established) to share knowledge and teachings and in the effort to share the wholesome health benefits of Yoga.

My favourite Yoga styles are combining Vinyasa (flow), Yin yoga, and injecting the ‘unseriousness’ of yoga and life through humour (i try anyway!). My yoga practise has helped me conquer alot of fears – on and off the mat aside from the health benefits that are countless.

At present, I teach 3 times weekly to a cosy group at home in the evenings, aside from holding a day job as a Language teacher and a mother to 3 little elves who are seven, six and 4 months J

www.stillpractising.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good morning bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that singular brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots are all over 190 dollars on every site. But for all I base this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you say about it?